In this place, you will not be judged by the numbers in your logbook.
You will be valued as a whole person with dreams, goals, aspirations and responsibilities.
You will be respected as an individual who has a right to make your own decisions and choices.
You will have freedom to falter, to make mistakes, and to try again as many times as you need to.
You will be empowered to set goals, to make decisions and to take actions that will help you make the changes that you want to happen.
You will be encouraged to ask questions, to test our knowledge and to challenge us to grow in our ability to serve.
You will have educators (teachers, coaches) who will stand beside you as you learn to live with a disease called diabetes.
For those with diabetes, we want you to know:
You’re not a “diabetic.” You are someone who happens to have diabetes, and you can live a healthy lifestyle with diabetes and control it so that it does not control you. Diabetes Education with a Registered Dietitian (RD) and Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) is one of the most important steps you can take in learning about and managing your diagnosis. We work with you and your physician to develop a personalized plan to keep your blood glucose in your target range.
The RDs and CDEs at GET Diabetes Education are here to teach you:
- how to monitor your A1c and test your blood sugar
- how your medications work and how to take them properly
- how physical activity affects your blood sugar
- how stress affects your blood sugar
- how to treat both high and low blood sugar
- how to care for your feet, eyes and kidneys
- why it's important to control blood pressure and cholesterol, and how to do so
- how to reduce your risk of long term complications
- how to plan meals, count carbohydrates, read food labels and lose weight if you want to
Sound like a lot of information? It is. But, whether you are newly diagnosed or have had diabetes for years, diabetes education is for you! Still not convinced? In addition to enhancing your health, research shows that diabetes education may significantly reduce your healthcare costs. In these challenging times, that's an important consideration.